Wednesday, March 27, 2013

2013 challenge.

I have never been good at keeping New Years resolutions.  I probably set myself up for failure by always making them (1) eat better, (2) exercise more, and (3) stop biting my nails -- the same three resolutions I've had since I can remember making resolutions and have never ever been able to keep.

It seems silly to "start" a resolution this late in the year, so instead I'm giving myself a challenge.  It may not be viewed as a challenge for everyone, but I'm going to read thirteen books in 2013.  I was an English major in school and absolutely love reading.  I devoured books at my first job in publishing and happily take the bus to work for a peaceful thirty minutes of reading time, BUT I also love TV, my husband, my dog, and the internet -- also know as distractions.

Last week when I realized that I was a mere 200 pages away from completing four books so far this year the challenge hit me.  Why not challenge myself to spend more time reading?  Thirteen in twenty-thirteen sounds so nice so let's do it!

I'll be using the blog as way to keep myself honest and share my favorites.  Here are the books I've pinpointed (for now!) as some options:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (currently reading and loving)
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell 
The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach (finished and loved)
Empire Falls by Richard Russo

Up In The Old Hotel by Joseph Mitchell
How Did You Get This Number by Sloane Crosley
History of Love by Nicole Krauss
I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron 

The Round House by Louise Erdrich
Tenth of December by George Saunders (currently reading and loving)
The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
Z by Therese Anne Fowler

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin
Grace by Grace Coddington
I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley (finished and loved)

Is thirteen books not impressive?  How many books to do read a year?

No comments:

Post a Comment