Friday, July 26, 2013

decisions, decisions.

In an effort to feel better about myself and this often complicated world we live in, I've made the decision to make more conscious decisions about what I eat.  I wouldn't be being honest if I didn't admit that a decent amount of it is due to the fact that I've felt like a big ole blob of grossness for the last few months, but now that I've been on this path for a few weeks it's about more than that.

Andy and I have been talking about joining a CSA for the last few months but with his crazy travel schedule we never sat down and really looked into it.  Last week I discovered Meadow Haven Farm, a family run farm out of Sheffield, IL.  After perusing their CSA options (only meat and eggs, we can great vegetables from the farmers market) I took a run down to Green City Market to buy some of their product and find out more information.

On the recommendation of the very nice man I spoke with, I purchased two pork chops and happily kept them in the freezer until Andy's return.  I knew they'd be good -- thick, juicy, bone-in, ain't nothing wrong with that! -- and last night we finally got to fire up the grill.

I wanted to keep the seasoning and preparation really clean and simple (a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley on each side) so that the natural flavor of the chop could stand out.  This was a glorified taste test, really, because we wanted to make sure that if we're dropping a lot of money every month it would be worth it.  And worth it is an understatement, friends.

This was one of the better meals we've cooked at home, no joke.  The chop was tender and delicious -- I'm talking real restaurant quality here.  I followed this recipe for grilled romaine as a side dish and it was a perfect accent.  I mean, look at how beautiful this plate is!


We're going back to the farmers market tomorrow to buy a piece of their red meat to try, but I'm fairly certain we'll happily be giving Meadow Haven Farm our business.

No comments:

Post a Comment