Thursday, May 30, 2013

book challenge update.

I'm happy to report that so far the 2013 book challenge has been going well!  Considering we're halfway through the year, and I'm seven books in, I'm on track to actually be successful with this!  I've loved all of the books I've read so far, and have a little commentary on each if you're interested in reading.


I Was Told There'd Be Cake: I found Sloane Crosley's tone and honesty to be hilarious and very entertaining.  For someone who hasn't ready many memoirs in this style (think David Sedaris), I was pleasantly surprised.  My mom borrowed the book when I was done with it and loved it.  In fact, she enjoyed it so much she's currently reading Crosley's second book -- and I'm eager to read it next.

The Art of Fielding: I have never read a 500+ page book so fast.  The easiest way to describe how I felt about the book was that I adored it.  Heartwarming and heart wrenching, I was engrossed by the plot and characters.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay: Is it obnoxious for me to have loved every single one of these seven books?  This one especially stuck a chord with me though.  New York before (and after) WWII -- need I say more?  There aren't many books I wish I could read over and over and have it be the first time, every time, but this is one of them.  Plus, it's all about comic books, and I happen to have some insight into that world.

Tenth of December: The New York Times called it the best book you'll read this year.  Of all the "new releases" I've read in the last year or so, I would say they could be close to right on this one.  George Saunders has a very special way about his work.  It's a little (or more than a little) bit twisted, always makes you think, and generally leaves you wanting more.  This was my selection for book club, when I hosted, but I sort of wish it wasn't.  I read all the stories back-to-back instead of taking the time to absorb them, something that you need to do.  Read it and you'll understand.  Also, just read it.  It's good.

The History of Love: If you know me, you know I cry very easily.  The ending of this book?  Pass the tissues, please.

Dark Places: Another book club selection!  I read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn last year, but was very disappointed by the ending, as I think a lot of people were.  I'm happy to report that this ending held up to my expectations.  A gripping murder mystery, I suggest you read it while in a big city -- not in a small farm town.

A Storm of Swords: It's taken me a loooooong time to finishing/re-read the third book of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.  No spoilers, but let's just say that there's a chapter that made me take a whole year off from reading it because I was so distraught.  But the ending of this?  Hello plot twists!  Bring on book four.


I'm currently reading Empire Falls by Richard Russo, but I'm debating quitting.  I'm only 100 pages in, but it's just not keeping me interested the way I want it to.  Also, I need to stay interested so I can finish this challenge on time!  So I ask you, any great books you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment